Ever wondered which was the first social network? We’ve listed the significant milestones in the development of social media throughout history in a handy infographic.
Social media has changed the world immensely in a minuscule amount of time in historical terms. From how we communicate, consume news and information, research and work, to how we organise ourselves and our lives.
Have we missed anything? If so, let us know and we’ll add it!
As a multi-media advertising agency we have a particular interest in how different forms of media complement each other.
Get in touch to find out how we can help with your marketing or advertising today.
If you’d prefer this timeline in text form, here it is:
Timeline of Social Media
Carrier pigeon / post
Community Memory – The first online social network. A simple bulletin board system where users read and posted messages using keywords and search functions.
Computerized Bulletin Board System – A more advanced system to Community Memory.
These networks included news reports, weather reports, sports reports, at home shopping, online games, chat and file sharing.
America Online (AOL) provided a network and paid internet access.
Links.net was the first blog created by US college student Justin Hall. He called it his personal homepage.
The term “weblog” was coined.
SixDegrees was one of the first sites to allow users to create and browse profiles and groups.
Myspace was the first significantly popular social network.
WordPress Blog hosting
Google acquired YouTube
iphone – the birth of the smart phone.
- Why Businesses Need to Think Long Term with Media and Marketing - April 26, 2021
- Talk Radio Reigns in a Return to Normalcy – Metro Radio Survey 2, 2021 Update - April 15, 2021
- A first Look at Radio in 2021- Metro Radio Survey 1, 2021 Update - March 12, 2021
- As We Enter 2021, Radio Survey 8 Shows Radio Remains Vital Channel For Australians - December 9, 2020
- The Future of Outdoor Advertising is Digital - December 7, 2020
- How to Develop your 2021 Marketing & Advertising Strategy - December 6, 2020
- BVOD Advertising: Everything You Need To Know - November 24, 2020
- Radio Insights from the New Normal – Metro Radio Survey 7, 2020 Update - November 5, 2020
- Why Business should Pivot their Marketing during COVID-19 – Part 2 - November 2, 2020
- What can we expect from Consumer Spending in the Lead up to Christmas? - November 2, 2020